Japan’s Stance on a United Korea: Ambivalence or Realpolitik?
Northeast Asia is at a critical juncture amid the gross uncertainty and chaos brought upon by geopolitical forces not just in the region but globally too.
A wide range of factors have resulted in increasing the threat levels in the region.
- The ongoing China-US rivalry;
- Debilitating aftereffects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has affected the region’s stability;
- Russia-China collusion that started prior to the invasion of Ukraine;
- China’s continued tacit approval of Russian actions during the ongoing war in Ukraine;
- Japan’s rising perception as a global power and the increasing hostilities with some neighbors;
- South Korea’s election of the conservative Yoon Suk-yeol as the country’s 20th president, which has raised hopes and fears; and
- North Korea’s resumption of ballistic missile tests (and a prospective seventh nuclear test).
Will Pyongyang’s NATO Tirades Pay Dividends?
Introduction: As the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit was being held in Madrid, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s (DPRK or North Korea) state media outlet Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) […]
Yoon’s Plan to Ditch Strategic Ambiguity Will Test US-ROK Alliance, DPRK Policy
Introduction: While Yoon has questioned the Moon administration’s policy of strategic ambiguity with regard to the U.S.-China rivalry, the new South Korean President will likely find it difficult to abandon […]
Seoul’s Geopolitical Code on Quad: Imperative or Elective?
Abstract: Under the new government helmed by President Yoon Suk-yeol, South Korea (ROK) has displayed a clear tilt toward and a more open embrace of the Indo- Pacific concept. Interestingly, […]
The Dangers of a Stagnant China: The Necessity of Awkward Coexistence
Abstract: In the build-up to the 20th Party Congress, a series of essays emerged focusing on Xi Jinping cementing a third term as General Secretary of the Communist Party of […]
Will the PLA Pledge Total Allegiance to Xi Jinping?
This article was originally posted on The National Interest’s website, you can find the article here. Xi’s resolute grip on the three most powerful positions in Chinese society has […]
Taiwan in the European Discourse: Toward Political Consensus?
Abstract: The EU’s Strategy for Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific recognizes that the display of force in the Taiwan Strait may have a direct impact on European security and prosperity. In […]